Pete the Pea has left his pod in Hudson, NY to embark upon the journey of a lifetime! He will accompany me in my studies of religion in Berlin. Every new experience and landmark we come across will be documented here. Although Berlin is our main destination for the next 4 months, we hope to make it to many other places in Europe as well. We don't know what great things await us or what challenges lie ahead but we are very excited to share them all with you! Not to mention how incredibly grateful we are that you are checking in on Pete, one pea out of the many on earth.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Tuna Recall

There are so many possible paths. As Lisa and I laughed hysterically at, it's like the tuna isle in the grocery store. The impossibility of figuring out what tuna to buy when the list simply says "tuna". It's how I feel about seminary. There are so many different aspects that go into choosing a seminary, as many as there are different kinds of tuna. 




Out of the 50 or some odd different kinds of tuna, I've bought 5 to try and ultimately have to pick just 1. The problem is that it's all tuna. At the end of the day I'm getting what I want. If only there weren't so many other factors; like oil based or water based and whether or not it's dolphin free. 

Each brand comes to can their tuna differently. They believe different things. And then there is how you eat it once it's open. Am I going to eat it plain? Do I need salt? Am I going to make tuna salad? Do I want the most versatile?

The irony of this analogy is that I don't even like tuna. I hope that's not an indication about my life right now. 

Never in my life have I felt so taken care of. Yet at the same time, I feel so incapable of doing the right thing. I think it comes back to the idea that no matter what kind of tuna I pick, it's tuna. There isn't a wrong choice. I'm not going to buy a can of tuna and end up with salmon. Even though I know I'm going to get tuna, I do feel as though some choices are better than others. 

For example, if I choose to eat tuna that's not dolphin free, I'm choosing to invest in a company that believes something different than a company whose tuna is dolphin free. In this instance, the dolphin free tuna feels like the better choice. I bet that choice is more expensive. Because yes, tuna costs money, as does seminary. 

As my mentor said, "You're not going to grad school for a financial future." On the one hand that cannot feel more true. I can't pick a seminary based on price. However, what if I cannot afford the most expensive tuna? Am I supposed to figure out a way to pay for the most expensive one? Does the cost automatically mean it's the best? How do I figure out the quality?

Plus, so many of them have been put on sale for me. Who am I to ask for additional discounts? Then again, I'm a consumer and bring demand. In the seminary realm, I'm a really great student and they're shopping for me as much as i'm shopping for them. 

I'm laughing right now about the email Lisa sent me about a Bumble Bee Tuna recall.

 http://www.bumblebee.com/recall-march-2016/

There is so much satisfaction for me in their choice to include images. How else would people ever figure out which kind of tuna were recalled, seriously? As funny as it is, I feel like this is the stage of discernment I'm currently in. I'm turning down options, shutting open doors. Out of the 5 cans of tuna I bought, some are being recalled and I've only tried 3. I feel pretty certain about turning down Princeton and Yale. In fact, I feel like I've saved the best for last. And God seems to think I need to see all my options, even though I was going to choose the 4th tuna without tasting the 5th. I'm not sure what God's doing there. I guess I'll find out April 8th. 

I am going to have to choose. It's going to be so hard. I know I'll be proud of myself for having tried all of them. Also grateful for the opportunity to do so. I know I'll be making the most informed decision I possibly could make. Who gets to visit all 5 grad schools they apply to?

Next time I walk down the tuna isle, I hope to confidently know what I'm looking for. Even it that's knowing I don't like tuna. 

Abigail <3

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete