Pete the Pea has left his pod in Hudson, NY to embark upon the journey of a lifetime! He will accompany me in my studies of religion in Berlin. Every new experience and landmark we come across will be documented here. Although Berlin is our main destination for the next 4 months, we hope to make it to many other places in Europe as well. We don't know what great things await us or what challenges lie ahead but we are very excited to share them all with you! Not to mention how incredibly grateful we are that you are checking in on Pete, one pea out of the many on earth.

Saturday, January 31, 2015

"Clubbing"

This is the first time living in a city. Technically we are in a suburb outside the city but still close enough for the public transportation. What do you do in a city on a Friday night? Well, most people my age go to bars and go clubbing. Gina, Pete and I decided to do our own kind of clubbing. Why be something your not? I mean, yes, I will check out the bars and clubs a few times while I'm here, but honestly, that's just not my idea of fun. Maybe Berlin will change that.

We started off by going into the heart of the city for dinner to this California burrito place called Dolores. "You're doing it all wrong." I hear critiques already. I know, we are in German and we chose to eat burritos. why? why not?
The atmosphere was really fun, the place was packed! The majority of the people spoke English and the menu was in English. It continues to surprise me how many people speak English here. Last night it turned out to be a bad thing. I was so comfortable that after we had left, when we had to stop and ask someone directions, I asked them in English without even thinking. I felt like an ignorant tourist. We're in a city, there are many nationalities and languages, but from now on, I'm going to try really hard to only speak German in public. It'll be a good challenge. 
The Mexican was a different kind of Mexican, something I hadn't really ever had before. It was good, but didn't knock my socks off. The napkins, however, did.
After going everywhere we intended we just started roaming the city, because you can do that in a city. We had nowhere to go and we walked for about an hour and a half. There was one point when we just started following this group of people, who I assumed to be college students like ourselves, who reeked of alcohol and were all carrying beers. We thought maybe they'd lead us to some exciting new place. After awhile we took a sudden left as the aroma continued on. Our sudden left led to our disbelief, "Is that a soccer field?" I couldn't even answer Gina's question, I just started laughing. It was all too ironic. The game that was going on was between two teams of older men. I'm not exaggerating when I say that they were between the ages of 40 and 60. We didn't plan on staying to watch these older guys play until suddenly one of them knuckled a ball into the lower right hand corner. The ball maybe got 4 inches off the ground. We were both now laughing hysterically with our jaws dropped realizing these men, who were 2 and even 3 times older than us, were a heck of a lot better than we were.
This picture is of a younger mens team playing handball. They were boring compared to the other guys.

In a desperate search for dessert, we came up with nothing. Everything closes pretty early and we would've had to settle for something at either Starbucks, McDonalds or Burger King. So we headed back to our apartment, first we made a stop at the grocery store. We purchased wine, yogurt, wafers, and chocolate dipped cookies. We were embarrassed at our ridiculousness.
We put it all to good use though, well, besides the yogurt, that was for breakfast. What better way to end the night than with a movie?
Although he looks like a bell hop, he makes one hell of a bar tender haha!

Cheers!

Pete & Abbey



No comments:

Post a Comment