Pete the Pea has left his pod in Hudson, NY to embark upon the journey of a lifetime! He will accompany me in my studies of religion in Berlin. Every new experience and landmark we come across will be documented here. Although Berlin is our main destination for the next 4 months, we hope to make it to many other places in Europe as well. We don't know what great things await us or what challenges lie ahead but we are very excited to share them all with you! Not to mention how incredibly grateful we are that you are checking in on Pete, one pea out of the many on earth.

Thursday, January 22, 2015

The New Pod

Apart from some minor organizational tasks, Pete and I are all settled into our new pod. We LOVE it! We live in an apartment with 5 other girls. There are 3 bedrooms, a kitchen and a bathroom. The apartment has beautiful, rustic bones, but is painted and decorated very modern. The majority of the furniture is from ikea. As you can see in the pictures below, Pete feels right at home! And we are both incredibly happy and amused that Tony was in our kitchen.

My roommate's name is Caitlin, she is from Los Angeles, California and is a junior from Bard. We knew each other before Berlin, but just in passing. I am looking forward to getting to know her better and I think we will get along great. Out of the 6 girls living in this apartment, 4 go to Bard, but the two others are from Sarah Lawrence and Clarkson. Our apartment building has 4 or 5 other apartments of Bard students and 2 families. Everyone in the apartments are upperclassmen. There is another apartment building directly behind ours, connected by a courtyard, that houses Bard students as well. There are freshman dorms a couple blocks away.

Before coming, I thought the apartments were located 10-20 minutes off campus. Lucky for us, we are, in fact, on campus. Campus is located in a residential area in the district Pankow. The buildings are scattered all within walking distance.

Today and for the next few days we have orientation. We are getting familiarized with the area, meeting new people, and getting essential things taken care of i.e. doing a lot of paperwork. 

So far, so great!


My bed, is on the right, in case you didn't spot Pete right away!
The bathtub isn't really uneven, I think i was just moving the camera a little too swiftly when taking the panorama!
If you can believe it, our refrigerator is the middle cabinet looking thing. The stove has two burners and there's no oven. It'll be interesting to see how 6 people fit their food into that small fridge. I'm sure that'll be a good picture in the near future!
To my surprise, they taste the same!
To make things even better, Gina lives next door! I'm already finding it great to have such a close friend in which I get to share this experience with :)




3 comments:

  1. Looks great, Gail! Can't wait to hear about all the adventures... with that "kitchen" :) I'm sure you'll make the best of it. Also, I love seeing Pete everywhere! Super cute. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! I'm so excited for you (and Pete)! You're going to have such a great time. I love the apartment, it's super cute. I'm so happy for you :) Love and miss you like crrrazy!

    ReplyDelete