Pete the Pea has left his pod in Hudson, NY to embark upon the journey of a lifetime! He will accompany me in my studies of religion in Berlin. Every new experience and landmark we come across will be documented here. Although Berlin is our main destination for the next 4 months, we hope to make it to many other places in Europe as well. We don't know what great things await us or what challenges lie ahead but we are very excited to share them all with you! Not to mention how incredibly grateful we are that you are checking in on Pete, one pea out of the many on earth.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Bloom

These three pictures are from the last three days. On Tuesday Gina, Pete and I were riding what is called the S-Bahn, which is like an above ground subway. There was a woman with her head down, hood up holding tulips in the corner. I wondered if she was bringing them home to someone. Was contemplating the contradiction of her sadness with the life of her flowers, although many were drooping. Drooping, but hadn't yet bloomed. We rode the S-Bahn for about 25 minutes. A couple stops before we had to get off, the woman took the flowers and placed them in the emergency handle. As I grew anxious hoping she didn't accidentally set off the alarm, I was perplexed by her actions, even more confused about her sadness, yet hopeful in her kindheartedness to lift up everyones night who encountered her flowers. As we got off the S-Bahn I couldn't help but think of a hollywood ending to the story. That the woman had somehow tracked down the schedule of the worker of the BVG (Public transportation) who would check that last car at the end of the night. That the worker would somehow know who they were from and that they would never see each other again. Maybe this city is turning me into a romantic?

All of this quickly fled my mind as soon as Gina and I met up with a group of girls at Santa Marias for Taco Tuesday. 1 Euro Tacos and 1 Euro Tequila shots. I had a few tacos, although I can't say I took any shots...maybe next Tuesday.
Soaring additions to, what used to be, my blank walls.
I have recently felt a dissatisfaction with my wardrobe. Feeling almost uncomfortable in what I have on. There is only one mirror in our apartment and it is in the bathroom. You can only see your profile. There is no full length mirror. So my discomfort couldn't have come from how I look. I legitimately cannot see myself. In fact I challenge you all to take the full length mirrors out of your house. It has taught me a lot actually. Instead of trying on an outfit, looking in the mirror and changing my mind based on how I look, I put on an outfit and decide whether or not I want to wear what I have on by my level of comfort. Today, my dissatisfaction/discomfort with my wardrobe led me to Kurfürstendamm or Ku'damm, Berlin's equivalent to 5th Ave in NYC.

I was in H&M being drawn to this vibrant button up when I discovered that it was color. Colors are a crucial part of the way I choose to express myself. Packing 4 and a half months worth of your stuff into one bag and a carry on limits how much you can take. Taking the practical way about it, I packed a lot of neutral colors. If you have neutral colors, you can wear things interchangeably. (I like to match) While packing neutral colors, it meant leaving all my vibrant colors behind: my neon green skinny jeans, my lavender skinny jeans, my bright orange shirt and scarf, my mustard yellow hoodie, my neon scarf, my aqua hoodie, my light yellow hoodie, my red hat, and my pink and lavender scarf amongst other things. Yes I do have some colored items with me, but not enough. In fact, so few that it led me to feel dissatisfied with what I have. It's amazing how much better I feel after purchasing this shirt. I have a feeling I'll be wearing it quite often. And next time I am forced to pack for a long period of time, I'll know to incorporate a color wheel of clothing.

Excited to see what this weekend has in store!

Abbey & Pete <3

No comments:

Post a Comment