Pete the Pea has left his pod in Hudson, NY to embark upon the journey of a lifetime! He will accompany me in my studies of religion in Berlin. Every new experience and landmark we come across will be documented here. Although Berlin is our main destination for the next 4 months, we hope to make it to many other places in Europe as well. We don't know what great things await us or what challenges lie ahead but we are very excited to share them all with you! Not to mention how incredibly grateful we are that you are checking in on Pete, one pea out of the many on earth.

Friday, April 3, 2015

Copenheaven

Upon arriving to Copenhagen, Gina and I decided to purchase Copenhagen cards. These cards include free transportation, free admission to museums and attractions and a handful of discounts. Gina and I purchased 48 hour cards and started our Copenhagen adventure starting with the National Gallery of Denmark.
This museum is beautifully placed diagonally across a square piece of land. It makes the landscape just incredible. 
This is a risen circular structure with a massive puddle in it. There were children running around it and splashing in the water. So simple, yet effective.
The art in this museum, even though I m unaware of their historical context, was striking. We saw so many different forms of art. Look at the architectural detail of this building!
This picture does not give the painting justice. There were so many little animals in this image that you didn't notice unit looking at it for an extended period of time. 
Bird fest. I dig it. Not to mention the turtle and dog haha. 
This image resonates with me every single time i look at it. The colors are so on point. 
There was a room filled with sculptures of women's bodies. I was so drawn to them. this woman looks as if she is posing if you look at her legs, but in combination with her arms, she seems as though she is in distress. contorted but so clear.
This sculpture was one of my favorites. As you came into the room you saw the right side of the sculpture, which is a woman's face. The face draws you in and you inquire what the other side of her face looks like. Upon arrival, you find a blank canvas. there is nothing on the other side of her face, in fact from the left side of the sculpture, the sculpture looks abstract. Art is AWESOME!
This girl has just got it going on. I love her androgyny. 
Only saw the bodies after looking at the picture i took.
Color harmony like woah.
striking room set up. A dot wall?
Favorite art piece of all time, to this day in time. 
i mean, come on!
Speechless, right?  a ball held by rope which is all connected. AND the rope held by the ball! Just can't get enough. 
And then there's the rainbow turd. Striking actually, it drew me into the room. 
The perfect wave. 
Idk, I just love this. I think because she looks so goofy trying to mock the bird. I also admire her quirky image. Those yellow boots, can i have them?
vague. Entering into the abyss.
Waves, waves, waves.
After the museum, Gina and I went to the Natural History Museum because the website showed a massive dinosaur skeleton. We went and were SO disappointed. No dinosaurs, too many minerals. I mean science is cool, but i was there for the dinosaurs. 

After this, we went around the block to the botanical gardens. It was raining as we entered the greenhouse. we climbed the spiral staircase to the walkway that went along the perimeter of the building. Stellar sky and stunning views from the rainy pane. 
The SKY!
This is the greenhouse. It's probably called something else because it was more like an indoor ecosystem, but for lack of a better word, I'm using greenhouse. 
Pete!
Gina and Pete defending from the walkway
The photogenic stairs
See. 
The old granny peering out from her garden. isn't she cute!
This sky is not fake. Have you ever seen such a thing?
A café car. Pete thought it was cool.
This image is real, idk what else to tell you. 
a pond. 

Inviting bridge
One of my favorite pictures! The boat was so out of place for the small pond and was so outnumbered by people. 
another favorite picture. 
hello again sky
It is really hard to tell, but the two people across the river are observing a statue. It just made sense.
spring.
can these replace all grass?
Love this little shop
the most beautiful hydrangeas. Each individual has so much character. We even have a late bloomer.
After the botanical gardens, Gina, Pete and I went to the David's Collection Museum which housed a lot of Islamic art, but also Danish art. This was the top of what used to be a door. This is the only picture i took of the islamic art. I was getting tired. After two other museums and the botanical gardens, my body was ready to rest and refuel.
But the other part of the museum sparked my interest and my energy. These birds are all over in Berlin, they are so friendly and their beak is a really vibrant red, orange.
Another favorite woman statue. I'm just noticing that she isn't actually holding the eagle. Wow. 
After this museum, we tried to go to the Post and Tele museum, but they ended up being closed, so we went to one of the most well known areas in Copenhagen instead. I bet you've seen images of it before. 
The place was hoppin and the colors were poppin
I loved all the ships
just a puff of cloud
I'm starting to appreciate ships, after all, I am practically help build one. 
BeaUtiful

Sun SHINING
Resting our weary bones on the dock. Luck for Pete, he has no bones to rest. 
:D
Isn't he cute!
Refuel, well, kind of haha. Cheers!
Not much of a beer drinker, but when in Europe...
The music, the young attentive, the purple love, a shaded kiss. 
G. 
Masts.

I liked how all of these ropes looked next to each other. 

I really loved this shot, but my panorama messed up the mast. It is not crooked. It is only a nasty illusion that my camera insisted upon. 
So I gave up. 
Shoes. 
Colorful wall. Hard to see because we were across the street, but it caught my eye. You can also see an construction crane. There is more construction in Copenhagen than in Berlin and that's saying something!
One of many subway stations. This one is so crisp. 
Gina and I wanted to go to another modern art museum, but it was out of the way. We took a train and decided to get dinner before we went. It was a quaint little italian place. We literally had no other option because we were in the middle of nowhere, but it was really good. 

these pictures are Gina in a nutshell. ;)

The yummy, boiling tortellini I got. It was so hot. I waited 5 minutes and still burnt my tongue on the first bite. 

The museum we were trying to go to ended up being closed due to special holiday hours. Although disappointed, we turned around and headed home. It was a successful first day in Denmark. It was Copenheaven. 

<3 Abbey and Pete 

No comments:

Post a Comment