Pete the Pea has left his pod in Hudson, NY to embark upon the journey of a lifetime! He will accompany me in my studies of religion in Berlin. Every new experience and landmark we come across will be documented here. Although Berlin is our main destination for the next 4 months, we hope to make it to many other places in Europe as well. We don't know what great things await us or what challenges lie ahead but we are very excited to share them all with you! Not to mention how incredibly grateful we are that you are checking in on Pete, one pea out of the many on earth.

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Across the Baltic

Easter break took Gina, Pete and I to Copenhagen! The anticipation killed us as we waited for our bus that was 50 minutes late. You can see how thrilled we were to finally be on the bus.
Okay, maybe more mixed feelings! Pete felt otherwise. Him and Raffe were fast friends. They sure were excited for the journey! Not to mention super cute!
After a solid nap, I woke up and saw nothing but windmills. Actually, what really woke me up is this wretched smell. I thought it was coming from the bathroom on the bus, which was starting to make me sick until I looked outside and realized we were driving through the country and saw a farm. There weren't many regular farms that we passed, but I cannot tell you how many windmill farms we drove through.  I had learned on the boat the week before that one windmill can generate power for 250 households for a whole year. Isn't that amazing?
After about two and a half hours we were driving onto a ferry. We couldn't stay on the bus while we ventured across the Baltic Sea, so we went inside the ferry. There was a restaurant, a cafe, a gift shop and a different restaurant. It was really weird to me. Part of me felt like I was being held there against my own will even though I was on my way to vacation. Something about it felt off. After I explored and ate a sandwich I was fine. And when I went to the bathroom, thats when things really changed. The bathroom had a lot of windows and was close to sea level. The view was breathtaking. I could've spent the whole 2 hours in the bathroom on that ferry. I didn't but I could've.



It is hard to see in these next two pictures, but in the distance there are dozens of windmills. I was so surprised to see them at the edge of the sea. It was beautiful especially with the sun breaking through the clouds.

It was bitterly cold, but I ventured outside on the deck for a few minutes. The cold clearly affected my ability to take pictures. My finger is in the next picture, but i still like it
The clouds!
After we got off the ferry we had a few more hours on the bus before we landed in Copenhagen. I watched the Chronicles of Narnia. And now that I think of it I still didn't finish the last 2 minutes of it, oh well. I was eager to get off the bus and Granny G took her time to make sure she had everything so I waited outside with my camera to capture her first steps on Denmark! Let the journey begin!
Our first view of Copenhagen, construction and an amusement park ride. We were so excited to see what this place had in store!
8 hours of travel went by surprisingly fast. Almost as fast as the next four days!

Abbey & Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment