Pete the Pea has left his pod in Hudson, NY to embark upon the journey of a lifetime! He will accompany me in my studies of religion in Berlin. Every new experience and landmark we come across will be documented here. Although Berlin is our main destination for the next 4 months, we hope to make it to many other places in Europe as well. We don't know what great things await us or what challenges lie ahead but we are very excited to share them all with you! Not to mention how incredibly grateful we are that you are checking in on Pete, one pea out of the many on earth.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Day 4

Day 4 in Budapest!

Day 4 brought us to the national museum. We had a guide but it all seemed to be a little to dry for me. That or I was just tired. There were some really cool displays of older clothes that I enjoyed but other than that it was hard to get into because it was all Hungarian artifacts, (duh) which meant that I knew very little about them and their context. There was also a group of maybe 4th graders who were sitting in this one section of the museum and the woman teaching them was fastening an old item of clothing onto one of the students. It made me super happy to see that type of education and thankful I got to experience some of the same type of education in going to greenfield village amongst many other places.

I was digging this old poster though. (I don't know how Maria manages to end up in so many pictures lol)
Another Shareen photo. We both really loved this artifact. 
After the museum we went to a Turkish bath. A place that I think used to be known for healing and is now like a spa type place. It has many hot tubs and pools and saunas with sulfur water and natural water and all kinds of fancy things. Although there is something nerve wrecking about public pool spaces, you cannot help yourself but be so at ease. After becoming familiar with the place I followed the instructions they had posted about what to do. I got in the sauna for two minutes, jumped in and out of the cold water and when to the roof to lay down in the sun. (It was not very warm but warm enough to be in a bathing suit and still feel warm in the sun) As soon as I laid down in the sun I immediately became completely relaxed. I don't remember ever a time were I have ever felt that level of relaxation in my life. Writing about it makes me want to go back right now. I wish. 

After the turkish bath, Shareen and I went to the opera with Lysan and Spencer. We saw The Barber of Seville. Yes that is the same opera I saw in Berlin. It was so amazing to see the drastic differences in how the story was depicted. Costumes, set, cast and all. It was completely different. It really helped me direct my scene for my Brecht class. It is the first thing I've ever directed. I actually really enjoyed directing. So many new experiences and skills i'm acquiring. 

Shareen and Spencer had plans that interfered with the opera so they left at intermission. That left Lysan and I to watch the rest of the show. After it was over, Lysan and I went and had soup at a cafe around the corner. We sat and chatted for 2 hours. It was awesome. After our soup, we were planning to meet up with some other people at a bar but we ended up at the wrong bar, so we had a drink together and chatted another 45 minutes. This picute of an old man sleeping in the corner with his book, water and wine is from the bar. I saw him take his last drink before he dozed off. They let him sleep the whole time we were in there. That is something I admire about Budapest. Letting people be. I was walking down the street there one day and came across two beds made on the street with stuff around them. They were unattended, perfectly tidy and undisturbed by everyone that walked by. It is so beautiful. 
The escalators in Budapest are fucking insane. Not only does it look like we are on a mountain but because they are so long they have to go fast. This think flies. Talk about hesitation in finding the right entry point.
Another look. Hope you're not afraid of heights. 
This is a picture from the hostel. I thought it was cool. 

A great place Budapest. Fond memories of a magical city. 

Abbey



No comments:

Post a Comment