Pete the Pea has left his pod in Hudson, NY to embark upon the journey of a lifetime! He will accompany me in my studies of religion in Berlin. Every new experience and landmark we come across will be documented here. Although Berlin is our main destination for the next 4 months, we hope to make it to many other places in Europe as well. We don't know what great things await us or what challenges lie ahead but we are very excited to share them all with you! Not to mention how incredibly grateful we are that you are checking in on Pete, one pea out of the many on earth.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Roller Coaster of a Day

My alarm this morning did not find me so enthralled. I didn't make it to breakfast. I threw on my clothiers, put a yogurt in my pocket and ran to the tram. I made it with a minute to spare, but I was not in the mood. And this was a surprise because I love my internship. I'll admit I did stay up way too late last night. 

On the tram ride there, I listened to music instend of reading. I couldn't find it in me to read. I felt off. Instead I looked out the windows. I was surprised at how much I'd missed in reading every time I was on this tram. There was so much I had never seen before and so much I wanted to go out and explore. I was 15 minutes away when my German phone ran. No one calls my German phone. I debated whether to answer. I did. Michael from the ship asking if I had received his email. No, clearly I hadn't. He said, "Oh shoot, well Helge doesn't need your help until this afternoon, what about 1?" I played it off cool like it was great news. "See you then!"


It was now 10:07 and I was an hour away from home. If I went home I could get an hour nap in. Why bother? I took the tram one more stop and hopped back on another in the opposite direction, from which I had just come. I decided that I would get off at the stop I saw that statue I recognized on the water and that playground that drew me in immediately. 


In search for the statue I spotted from the tram, I found this delightful building. How could this not make your day? Seriously? Any guesses on what this building is? I thought it was going to be affiliated with children in some way. Nope. Just your everyday pharmacy. Can you imagine a city full of this architecture. It would be so amazing. 
I found it! I was shown this image in class and apparently it is called The Molecule Men. It doesn't look like it from here, but there are three figures, not two. It was built in 1999 and it represented then,the three intersecting districts that existed. This spot currently marks more than three districts intersecting.
Just thought I'd let you in on the world of extremely obedient and loyal German dogs. It is unbelievable. Most dogs are off leash and follow their companions down the sidewalks past and through hundreds of other people every single day. It amazes me. 
I am just noticing my incredible fascination with playground architecture. I have no idea where this stems from. This city is also making me love graffiti. 

This playground was on the way to the one I saw from the tram. I love its symmetry and popping graffiti background. 

The was the place that housed the amazing playground. Part of me wanted to ask if they had any opening for a short term intern because I literally love it so much. I didn't, don't worry. But I did really, really think about doing it. 
There it is. The beauty that caught my attention from the tram. I think it is the slide. This isn't the whole playground but this is what I love most about it. The slide is SO big. Maybe that is what I love about it. I can't help but think how much courage a little kid would have to have to go down it. The hesitation of standing at the top for the very first time and after going once, fearless in the hundreds of times following. Maybe what I admire about kids is their courage. There are so brave. 
Another gem I found on the way back to the tram. 
The abandon aspect of these also does something. They are so full of potential. And so full of untold stories.
This was behind the last pictured playground. I still am not sure what the igloo/hobbit type structures are meant to be. I originally was trying to take a picture of the light coming through one of the tunnels, but quickly realized that it was acting as someone's home. I don't have words for this beautiful stone structure being someone's home but to say that I respected and admired their space. Nothing but beauty and welcome. I pray that person's life be full of/filled with the energy their home passed onto me. 
Hello again to the Molecular Men. Just passing by. 
I eventually did go back home to eat lunch, because it is free and nothing I could buy sounded good. I was only home for about 30 minutes and ended up being late to my internship. My tardiness only seemed to deter my energy. If I hadn't apologized, I think it would've gone unnoticed. It was really nice actually to walk into that laid back atmosphere. 

They put me back on the needle scalers to finish up the front deck. I worked straight through from 1:30 to 5:05. I only stopped to help unload a truck of wood into the boat. Helge is laying the wood floor inside and it looks SO good! 

There is great satisfaction in finishing a job. After I was done using the needle scalers and had to use the wire brush to scrub the rust off off the bare deck, my forearms were screaming. I was also having to be a magician with the needle scalers because I was scaling a dock mooring bit that is less than a foot away from the wall. Like this. 

I ended up having to have half of the needle scaler out of the hole in the wall to get the back side. It was a good challenge. I kept saying in my head, "Finish what you started." Hard work runs in my blood. Channeled a lot of ancestry today. 

Only one day a week and I am lying here weary and sore. I wonder how the other guys do it every day. I commend them. 

Friday tomorrow already, I shouldn't be so surprised. 

Next week I'm off to Budapest!

There's a paper to be written and a test to be done before the week of fun can happen. 

A roller coaster of a day. Overall, extremely rewarding. 

Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment