Pete the Pea has left his pod in Hudson, NY to embark upon the journey of a lifetime! He will accompany me in my studies of religion in Berlin. Every new experience and landmark we come across will be documented here. Although Berlin is our main destination for the next 4 months, we hope to make it to many other places in Europe as well. We don't know what great things await us or what challenges lie ahead but we are very excited to share them all with you! Not to mention how incredibly grateful we are that you are checking in on Pete, one pea out of the many on earth.

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Wood, Warmth and Welcome

I didn't physically do much today on the boat, but who's to say value is measurable?

I thought it was just going to be Helge and I today. I was pleasantly surprised to see a new face. Her name is Kerstin, ironically, and not the woman who owns the boat. This woman only comes every other month. I really enjoyed her company. She spoke very good english and was going out of her way to communicate with me, specifically making sure I knew where everything was. She was a very comforting presence even though I knew almost everything she told me, the small acts and her genuine intentions behind them all were something I needed today. 

Started my first fire in the wood burning oven. The smallest of accomplishments, but so satisfying in feeling its warmth. 
The majority of the day I was vacuuming the floor/foam Helge and Kerstin were laying the wood down on. Helge was doing the complicated measuring and cutting at each rows end while Kerstin started each row. I was helping speed the process by handing them the different size wooden planks they called for and vacuuming the sawdust and dirt as they went on. We all worked really well together. 
The coolest part of today was watching Helge use a hole saw for the poles. https://youtu.be/gC6wE1vaBi0 
Wood burning in the oven and laid on the floor. I've gained a greater appreciation for wood today. Welcoming and warming, sacrificing itself in turning to ash and carrying our weight. 
The place is starting to look/feel like a home.

Abbs

No comments:

Post a Comment