Pete the Pea has left his pod in Hudson, NY to embark upon the journey of a lifetime! He will accompany me in my studies of religion in Berlin. Every new experience and landmark we come across will be documented here. Although Berlin is our main destination for the next 4 months, we hope to make it to many other places in Europe as well. We don't know what great things await us or what challenges lie ahead but we are very excited to share them all with you! Not to mention how incredibly grateful we are that you are checking in on Pete, one pea out of the many on earth.

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sunday Stroll

I usually go to church on Sunday mornings. This morning, I wasn't feeling it. Although the community of people is very welcoming and friendly, it's a 2 hour service and I understand maybe 20% of the sermons because they are in German. So I turned off my alarm and slept a little longer. When I woke back up I headed to brunch. 

When I got outside I was struck by a heat wave. It was SO warm! It's 10 to 8 now and it's 55 degrees out. Unbelievable! 

I have been trying to capture these dried up hydrangeas for the past week. Of course today's rays of sunshine produced the perfect light!
I could not coop myself inside on a day like today, so I decided to go for a run. My roommate suggested the local park that I didn't know existed. It was love at first sight. 
Not only were there an incredible number of people there, but the  patience in all the empathetic acts happening between people continued to take my breath away. 

A woman walking with an elderly woman linking arms both proceeding at a satisfying crawling pace. To the right of this image, a man pushed an elderly woman in a wheelchair. 
A father helping his daughter climb a tree. I captured the second lift. The first being unsuccessful. I was sure that they would continue for as many lifts as it took. 
Mom and daughter walking along. Speed limited by the span of her developing stride. Stroller acting as an accessory. 
Captivated mind roaming free. Mother not far behind. 
Mother and daughter chasing each other with no destination in mind. 
Young boys playing the game of my heart in friendly competition. 
Bier Garten taking opportunity of the glorious day to open its doors/stands. 
A device that mobilizes even the littles of children, a bike with no pedals. Not just keeping up, leading the way. 
Gazing up at the sky, my heart filled with delight. How lucky the strangers on the plane to be landing in such a place.  

Stranded bike. 
A different perspective.
A family taking over the deer statue. One child riding forwards, the other backwards, what a team, those sisters. 
Loving every second.
Attempting to capture the glimpses. 
Attempting. 




A hesitant bike leader turning to get a glimpse at his gang. 
The beautiful artwork I pass regularly on the tram. 
Beaming beauty out of the bushes. 
A buddy bear!
I pass it all the time and finally got to capture it by passing it on foot. 
I love it. 
A father stopping to check in on his passenger. As I ran passed, I smiled at her. As she smiled back, I couldn't help but think how much she looked like a cuter version of a toe headed cabbage patched doll. 
Taking command of the backyard, this gang. 
A tunnel to the sky. 
I know you can't see what I see from this perspective, but you can see my apartment building. It's the beige one with blue balconies. 
I have no idea what they were pointing at. Maybe the outside of their own apartment. But it was so endearing. They took turns embracing each other and pointing. Almost seemed like a loving debate. 
After dinner the sky was lit with purple flames. I missed it's prime, but this is the last of it. Silhouetting the synagogue who's bell acts as a neighborhood bird call in it's regularity. 
Just after this moment, I heard bird chiming their tunes. It was 6:30. Do birds usually sing at this hour? I felt as though the sun was waking up as opposed to going to sleep. 

Today I realized it was 
Sunday, a sabbath day for majority of berlin's population. Very few places are open on Sunday's. I realized the beauty in everything I saw today was a result in this place's character that is free of time. 

For a place that is known for its punctuality, they should be known for the way their Sunday's hide the clock. 

Taking notes, breathing it all in. 

<3 Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment