Pete the Pea has left his pod in Hudson, NY to embark upon the journey of a lifetime! He will accompany me in my studies of religion in Berlin. Every new experience and landmark we come across will be documented here. Although Berlin is our main destination for the next 4 months, we hope to make it to many other places in Europe as well. We don't know what great things await us or what challenges lie ahead but we are very excited to share them all with you! Not to mention how incredibly grateful we are that you are checking in on Pete, one pea out of the many on earth.

Monday, March 16, 2015

The Majestic

Never in my life did I think I'd be telling you that I was going to Hungary. It just goes to show what amazing things life has to offer. So many things we cannot possibly imagine. 

Traveling is such an interesting thing. Only because it is such a different experience everywhere you go. I flew out of the smaller airport in Berlin, which is a really different airport. It's in the shape of an octogan and the walkways are very narrow. Although, i do admit, i am spoiled and privileged to say Detroit is my home airport. Anyway, not only was the airport really different and small, not once did anyone check my passport. A person scanned my ticket before security and before going into the gate which was a seperate room. That was it. And we boarded from outside, which i love doing and it reminded me of when i traveled to europe as a kid. Its one of the things i remember. 

Something about the process seems more fair and the lack of structure makes it more relaxed. Although i am very curious how people who need assistance get on the plane. 
I was positive that when I landed in Hungary we would have to go through customs or at least get a stamp in our passport, but again, i was wrong. Anyone could've illegally traveled to Hungary from that German airport on Monday with a stolen ticket or however they obtained a ticket. No ids checked or verification needed. It still blows my mind. Mostly because of how much it differs from the states and what that all means. 

Not to mention i was sad that i have no hungarian stamp in my passport to show for my travels. Sad day. I was soon over this when i suddenly become rich. 
Totally joking, clearly, but its fun and dangerous to have big bills. It feels like a game. Trying to figure out how much money you are actually spending is also a challenge. 1 usd is about 300 flourins. Thats not the simplest math!

I am traveling with a group of students from my school. There are about 25 of us. 21 of us are staying together in a hostel. This is most of the gang
These side street/alley ways immediately won my heart over. They are frenchesque but somehow different. 
Welcome to the hostel!
Immediate smell of wet paint with a second waft of insence. Not to mention the vibrant color scheme. And as you can see, they didnt quite finish painting. 
I will admit the paint job is super fun and unique!
In the hostel there are 2 rooms with 5 beds, 3 rooms with 3 beds, a room with a double bed and a couch. I am in a room of three, like the one below. Surprisingly, the beds are comfortable, granted i could pretty much sleep anywhere. 
Once we got settled in we were off to dinner. We saw some beautiful things on the way. 
My favorite part of this church is the wooden awning/entrance. It is reslly hard to see because it is dark, sorry. 
At dinner i had a typical Hungarian meal. It was basically cottage cheese, bacon and miniature gnocchi. Super filling and a totally different flavor, but good. 

This was the bottom of the lemonade i had. It was AMAZING. omg, so good. 
Dinner took forever because we are a huge group but when we finally got out of there we made our way to 'the hill' so that we could walk up it. Thats not actually what it is called im sure, but that is what people were referring to it as so thats what im going to call it. 

To get to the hill we had to walk across one of Budapest's many bridges. Breathtaking from here on out. 

View to the right. 
View to the left. 
The hill we were going to go up is the lighted figure/statue that you cant really make out. Just posted this one so you could see the perspective of the hill. 
Our way up the hill...
The view from the bottom of the hill
The climb.
Gettin closer to the top. Calves were burning. 
Halfway up. The statue and the city lights. 
I really love this statue. 
Pete did too!
The view. 
Enchanted.
Magical
Pete and I were glad to be able to share the view.
Absolutely amazing.
The gang overlooking the city


Just because


Maria and Pete <3 Pete's new friend.
yikes.


This is how my heart felt atop this hill
One of my favorite pictures of the day.
My new favorite bridge. The most welcoming city I've ever been to. It's magical.

It all feels like a dream.

Pete & Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment